Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Cry It Out Method

Have you ever heard of the cry it out method? That is what Joseph has been having to do this last month, even for naps. I know it's the lack of a binkie that's causing him to cry for a longer period as he goes to sleep. Sometimes he'll cry for an hour or more before falling asleep for his naps.

If you read up on the whole "Ferber" method, it tells you that you aren't hurting your children (though leaving them for hours on end isn't really part of the actual method.) But after the conversation I had with him tonight, I wonder if I am not traumatizing him in some way.

We were leaving the grocery store in the evening and the moon was out. I pointed it out to Joseph, mentioning to him that it was small. He said, "Goodnight, moon! Shh, sleeping." Sooo cute!

Then he comes out with, "crying...moon crying."

We continued...
Me: Why is the moon crying?
Joseph: Sad
Me: Why is the moon sad?
Joseph: Crying

I have no idea what he's talking about but one interpretation is that he is thinking about bedtime. He spends so much time crying at night (with cries of mommy and daddy and HUG thrown in over and over again) that maybe he now associates bedtime with tears and sadness. If that's true, it kind of makes me sad, too.

I know it's good for him to learn to go to bed on his own without any help from me except a good book and a nighttime prayer. I know that...except it hurts my heart to hear him cry at night. (Unless I'm in a bad mood, and then it's a little wearing). I really don't want him to hate bedtimes! I would love to have him snuggle with me in his bed while we read a few books. Maybe someday.

For now I'll simply have to love him. Not hard to do! I love him so much. I can't hug him enough or kiss him enough.

1 comment:

  1. Know what Tracy? I think you are an awesome mom. Really. I know you'll figure out what's bugging Joseph and he'll go back to calling people on the plastic phone soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete